Sunday, April 17, 2016

Entry #6 Big Brother is Watching

In the 21st century the internet is everywhere. It is in our phones, it is on our computers, it is even on our smart watches. You tweet you text you lol but what about you being able to look up personal information on people? I came upon an article about a website called Truth Finder that you can put in anyones name and it will give you a complete search of them. So naturally I put someones name in there. Not only did I put someone name in there I picked someone who has no social media what so ever and thought it would be harder to find information on. I searched my uncle. Automatically it came up with him and 8 of his family members names. How does this site know my uncle and his family when he is not on social media? It gave me the family members criminal records without me even asking. 

At my fingertips is the background to millions of people. Is this a good use of technology or is it a completely violation of privacy. On one hand we put that information out there ourselves and sometimes don't understand  what it means when its truly public. Once a post or picture it out there is no turning back. Does this deserve this type of back lash though? What should be considered personal and private or does that not exist anymore? My uncle someone who doesn't put his information out there for everyone to see can still be searched on a site like this. I could see the upside to this for people who are dating and want to be safe and do a little background search to make sure they haven't had any felonies. Even a caution for dating is still just to much to me. You life should be private and who you chose to tell things about should be your choice! What do you think? You do the crime so you deserve the punishment of everyone knowing? Or should some things just be kept a secret?
If you want to try it out for yourself and be as nosey as me here is the site truthfinder.com . Snoop at your own risk. 

1 comment:

  1. Sasso--Your new entries are interesting and thoughtful. Good points and topics and good development and analysis. Keep at it. Good visual appeal and support. Keep digging and connecting.

    ReplyDelete